Thursday, March 4, 2010

Indigo = Bad News


This (above) is the book I purchased today for our Book Club. The cover price was $25. But I am an Indigo/Chapters iRewards member, and so I save 10%.
I drove into the city after my ultrasound today to "slip in" and pick it up.
I parked the car. I went inside. I was handed a coupon for an additional 10% off for iRewards members. I entered the title of the book into the computer and found it's location.
WAIT! BACK UP ONE MINUTE!
The coupon. That's where things took a turn for the worse...
20% off anything in the store. Anything. My choice. Anything.
Done. Count me in.

I had some birthday money stashed away in an unused part of my wallet (I put it in there naively thinking that I won't spend it. It worked, and for 21 days this time. New record? Maybe.) I was going to save it and put it towards a new slip cover for our white couch, which is not-so-kid-friendly.

I am a compulsive shopper. I admit it. Everyone knows it. Big deal. For the most part, I have it under control (I mean, it's not like Miles is running around with no diaper on... and we make contributions to out RRSP's each month....)


Here's what I bought today:
Heidegger and a Hippo Walk Through Those Pearly Gates
My Book Club Book. And the only item I intended on buying.
Bath Salts.
Two tubs.
I couldn't decide which one I like better. Was it more important to Sleep or Breathe? Hard choice. Couldn't make it. Bought 'em both.
Another Cook Book.
The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.
Clearly, I am addicted to cook books.
And I lent most of mine to my sister, who hasn't returned them (but is actively using them, so I'm not mad... just left feeling empty). So I thought to myself: "Self, you have some perfectly good post-it tabs that are dying to be put onto pages of recipes you want to try. And heaven forbid you piss off your post-it's..." so I bought the book.
And I have NO buyers remorse when I flip through & see the Summer Succotash (pg.169) with beautiful green lima beans or the Cheesy, Oozy Guacamole Bean Dip (pg.207).
Some Picture Frames.
Silver plated ones. And a beautiful white one with raised flowers.
I need these for pictures of the new baby. All existing picture frames are full. I want to be fair don't I?




3 comments:

kaly said...

We can rationalize anything, and I know! I'm the queen of rationalization. My weakness is the book section at Winners. I always find the most wonderful tree and nature books there. And cookbooks too.
And you deserve some bath salts! Use them now, while you're waiting for that babe!

the scrap diva said...

You are so funny Haley!! At least you used money that you had stashed away. I would have whipped out mr. visa and then really been in trouble! I hope you had fun!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny...good for you I would have bought both salts too. I want the Alicia Silverstone book too I seen it on Oprah in Jan. She has a cookie reciepe to die for in there. I think you just did what any smart shopper would do when confronted with a sale. lol