Saturday, June 2, 2012

Thoughts on baking.


Yesterday my kitchen was a mess. And I reeeeally didn't feel like cleaning it up. Like, really really. So I did the opposite. I baked. And we created a lot more mess. But Miles loves to bake and we had nothing else planned.... I decided to try making an old-school favourite... Peanut Butter Butterscotch Marshmallow Squares. mmmmm. These were my favourite when I was a kid. I melted the marshmallows a little bit (oops!) but it doesn't taste any different. My gosh these are so addictive. 

Good thing I also make Chewy Lemon Crinkle Cookies. Hahaha!



This was an article I found on Pinterest, it's the first thing I have made from a pin. They were great! Just the right amount of lemon and easy to make with ingredients that I have around the house.... well, that's only because I have lemon zest. I tried the cookies with dried zest just to see how it turned out, the jar says that they work well in baking. And it does. Don't they look yummy?

I use to hate baking. Like, really dislike it. But I think that's because I thought it should be more like cooking and it's not. You have to have more faith when you're baking. You have to do everything right at the beginning & then hope for the best....not being able to alter things if it doesn't look like it's going right. That's hard for me. When I am cooking I can change the heat levels, add liquid, put in more ______. And I often do. I like having control (big shocker!). But I have started to enjoy baking more lately, which is great because the kids do. And who doesn't need 2 dozen cookies in their house? I mean, really?


No comments: