Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Good Eats.

I seem to spending a lot of time in my kitchen lately. More so than normal. Maybe because I can't seem to keep my house clean in the summer...I just finished doing dished at 9:30 tonight. But I have been cooking too (and then cleaning some more...)
 At Vin Room I had these great crispy Eggplant slices. I tried to recreate them at home. They turned out alright and I learned a thing or two. My bread crumbs were too soft & my coating wasn't consistent... but Brian enjoyed them and this is a fantastic way to ruin a perfectly healthy vegetable. Slice your eggplant, coat in egg & roll in a breadcrumb mixture. I added lime zest, pepper & onion powder to mine.. you could really try anything. Then thrown them in a pan of oil & crisp them up (they brown quickly). Great side dish.
 A gorgeous loaf I bought at the Farmers Market.  I've been making a lot of soups for lunch with all this rain lately so it's nice to have good bread to dip. Today was tomato...tomorrow I have to use up my sweet potatoes before they go bad, so I'll come up with something I'm sure...
Dinner tonight (looks pretty damn good hey?). A lasagna I adapted from a Jamie Oliver Cookbook (I always do that, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Tonight it did!). This lasagna is like nothing I have ever had before. Made with Asparagus, Peas & Fava Beans. And the recipe called for Anchovies, but I wanted it to be vegetarian so I used capers for that little bit of zing instead. I also baked it, not broiled...and I didn't use fresh pasta (it's hard to find in Okotoks). It was so good.... Can't wait for leftovers tomorrow.


No comments: