Monday, February 27, 2012

Perfect. Finally.


I've been searching for the perfect play dough recipe for a while. I've made it too sticky, too smelly (it molded) & too dry. Today, it was perfect. Finally.

Here's what you need:
3c Flour
1/2 c Salt
3 T. Cooking Oil
1 T. Alum
(I got this waaay too big container at the drugstore for $8. It will be around for my grandkids.)
1/4 t. Food Coloring
2 c Boiling Water


Add the first 5 ingredients & stir.


Add boiling water & stir until you can't. Then dump contents onto counter or paper & knead until dough is smooth & colour is completely mixed.


That's it. No seriously, that's it. Store in an airtight container. 


For some reason my kids LOVE homemade play dough. More than the store-bought kind. I do too, it reminds me of when I was little & my mom use to make it for us. Even the smell of it induces nostalgia.

I searched for a recipe that used Alum because it is more sanitary. It doesn't allow bacteria to grow (and we all know how much gross bacteria is on our kids hands) even though it stays moist.

Pink for Molly. Blue for Miles.

No comments: