Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Italian-style Meatloaf

 Tonight for dinner (just the kids & I) I made an Italian-style Meatloaf from Chef Michael Smith (Can you tell which cookbook I used to make my meal plan this week?). Brian made this recipe once before, when I was sick, and it was so good. So very very good. And I usually have most of the ingredients on-hand... except olives (eww) which I have to buy because I don't really like them. I buy a single scoop of olives ta Sobeys from the deli, if I bought a whole jar I'd have it for years...

Preheat your oven to 350.

In a saute pan, add 2T. of olive oil, turn to medium heat & add:
2 large onions, finely chopped (I only use one)
8 cloves of garlic thinly sliced (I only use 2)

Cook until they are golden brown.


In a large bowl, whisk 2 large eggs. Then add:
 1/2c tomato paste
1.5 lbs of ground beef (I use about 1/2 that, which is why I cut back on my onion & garlic)
2c of bread crumbs
1/2c of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/2c chopped, pitted kalamata olives (I use 1/4 cup & chop them like hell)
1/2c of Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2c fresh parsley (I use half of that & have used 2T dried parsley in the past as well)
1T dried oregano*
1t of your favourite hot sauce (I used double that, we like spicy food up in here)

Then add the garlic & onions you cooked earlier.
Wash your hands (do I even have to write that?) and blend until it is well mixed. Transfer onto a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper & shape into a thick loaf**.

*Don't skip this ingredient. It is what I think makes this meatloaf so different from others I have had in the past.


(mmmm looks appetizing. Just kidding, it totally doesn't....yet.)

** I make mine a little more narrow. It reduces cooking time & an Italian meatloaf can be a little dried anyway...although I can't really tell the difference.

Cook for 60 minutes (ish).




I throw a little store-bought marinara on top (I think Barilla brand is the best) but you totally don't have to. Tonight I had a tossed salad with mine but it's a pretty filling dish on it's own. Enjoy!

No comments: