Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ouch!

A while ago I put my blood, sweat & tears into something special. It took me weeks & weeks to create. And maybe even longer to come up with a name for the 'baby' I had put so much time & effort into. And it was a success. And then someone ripped it off without asking or giving me an ounce of credit. I could cry.
I love marketing. I love it. I enjoyed it in college & still enjoy it today. I love the THINK TANK. I love trends. I love fads. And I love improving an existing idea or putting a new twist on something that needs it. But I also believe in giving credit where credit is due. And sometimes, if you don't, it's called COPYING. And since Kindergarten most of us know that being a Copy Cat isn't a good thing. Which is why when most of us copy a layout, buy the same cute shorts our girlfriend just bought (Kim!) or change our hair color, we give the original creator a little bit of credit (I know I always do... or at least acknowledge it wasn't my idea)
I wanted to keep this thing I created for myself. I wanted to make it uniquely mine. In fact, I had discussed it & marketed it to another scrapbook store owner who was going to hire me in the fall to promote it. And now I feel ripped off. I feel like I am pitching an idea to her that I STOLE (when in fact it was the opposite.). And a couple people asked me about it.... wondering why I claimed it was mine...And I don't know what to do... but I am crushed.
The thing is... if she had asked, I would have given it to her & started again from scratch on my own. I honestly would have.
I am totally feeling this KICK IN THE GROIN....
I wish I knew what to do. Call Her Out & try to take back what I created? Or Move On & make something even better? Which one is right? Which one will make me feel good? I just feel so sad. Like actually SAD. Not mad. Not bitchy (which is what I usually feel). Just sad.

10 comments:

Antoinette said...

Life's not fair Haley. I think it's best you move on because people who steal ideas rarely admit they have done so. I feel really bad for you. Hope whatever you decide, it feels positive to you.

Kimberly said...

first of all... I only bought the shorts because I want to be JUST LIKE YOU.... second.... I agree with Antoinette....

Erin said...

Grrr...I hate lifters. But i believe that KARMA can really come back to bite you in the ass. So sorry for your sadness. Chai seems to work for me. Now I am all curious to see what your "invention" was all about. I hope you feel better soon.

Scrapamum said...

ugh. That really sucks. I am so sorry that happened to you. On one hand I agree with everyone that says just move on but on the other I hate to see this person get away with stealing a wonderful idea. Have you confronted this person?

Carol T said...

I think telling her is a good idea -- not in a "confrontation" kind of way, but in a "hey, you kinda hurt my feelings" way. Sometimes, people are clueless (*raises hand*) and have no idea they've hurt others.
Or she's done something terribly rude and feels no remorse for it.
You have the right to hurt feelings -- and for feeling put out about the job possibility.

Jennifer DeWolfe said...

Hi Haley! It sucks when some claims an idea that was your baby! I agree with Carol, maybe you should just approach her and tell her how you feel and then move on to the next brilliant (and even better) idea! I hope it all works out. I'm curious too about what this was tough :)

Crista said...

oooohhhh... stuff like this boils my blood. I do believe in Karma... and hope she gets it back. I agree with Carol, if it were me, I would tell her. If for no other reason than to get it off your chest and so that she knows you know. Too often people who are like this get away with it once... and then think they can again so they repeat it and do another 'copy cat'. I'd call her on it. Likely wont change a thing, but might make you start to feel better.

Tasha said...

I will share a dissimilar story but with the same sentiments.

There is a charity in town we do a lot for, and we have been involved with their Christmas fundraiser from the beginning (in fact, my sister helped organize it with her high school class). They always mention us when they promote it, because we are a drop-off point, and we advertise for them as well.

Problem is, at the end of it every year, they place a full page ad thanking everyone, and one year our name wasn't on it. So then we were kind of upset, but let it slide, probably a printing error. Then the next year it wasn't either. And the next. Finally my sister called them and said look, it kind of hurts our feelings that our name isn't in the thank you.

They were so embarrassed (obviously, we are a major part of the whole thing!) and ended up giving us a Community Award that same year (probably out of guilt but still, it was nice).

I was watching Padma yoga one day and she was talking about Sanskara's (she pronounced it Sun Scars) which are basically memories or marks left on us from the past. You can read more at the link I will put at the end. What got me is she says, these things leave their marks on us, and we revisit them often, and we don't know why. Perhaps we need to try to stop holding on to things from the past, because they are already gone.

What you did was amazing and beautiful, and YOU were the one that put it out into the world. She ripped you off and will gain nothing from it. It was your baby, you sent it out and gave it a life. Don't let whatever shitty attempt she makes at replicating what you created rob you from the joy and the memories it gave to you.

Anonymous said...

Haley you are a strong, beautiful, and wonderfully creative woman. It is sad when you come across people that are empty shells. Worst part is nothing you are going to say to her is going to change her. Always remember when dealing with people like this you are more amazing than they will ever be. Friends and family are all that matter at the end of the day.

Martha said...

I hate people who do that. Taking credit for something they didn't do. It happens to me sometimes too and happened quite recently in fact. Pisses me off!

I didn't tell her anything because the people who matter the most to me already knew the truth of the matter. But, if it was something marketable, I would have said something to her. And mind you, if she does it again...there will be more than words for her.

It's hard to put your efforts, time and creativity into something and then have it stolen from you. Feel better.