Thursday, April 28, 2011

Beautiful Beans

I didn't end up at the Farmers Market today. It's a long story, but there was no way it was going to happen. So I pouted for a bit. And then I made 3 dozen Chocolate Skor cookies (one dozen for a friend who helped me out the other day). I had big plans to take the kids on a looong walk. But it started to snow. Really? In April? Yes. In April. So, because I am stuck at home (I have no car. Long story.), I am going to pay homage to this crappy, cold weather by firing up my crock pot and making a great Turkey Chili. I know, sounds delicious. As I rinsed off my dried beans to boil them, I couldn't believe how beautiful they were. Ok, I could believe it... but they are pretty right? Kind of unexpected for 'supper'. So I snapped a picture and then tried to see how many of the items in this Organic 18 Bean Mix I could name.


Here's what I got:
Beans: Blackeye, Red Kidney, Baby Lima, Navy, Pinto, Small Red
Lentils: Green
Peas: Whole & Split Green

Here's what I missed:
Beans: Appaloosa, Azuki, Black Turtle, Calypso, Great Northern, Mung
Lentils: French, Red Split (I didn't know there were red split!)
Peas: Yellow

I think beans are overlooked in our home. I use them a lot in soups, stews and chilis, but knowing there are so many out there that I have yet to discover is intriguing. I don't think most people (who aren't vegan) know how versatile beans are. Last year I made a chickpea burger from scratch to take camping, and they weren't for me, but they opened up a new door for chickpeas in my home. Chickpeas were generally only used in Hommus but now I've even used them with squash in my Tagine. I am dying to find a source for more unique beans...perhaps the Farmers Market??

1 comment:

Jennifer DeWolfe said...

They are pretty! I have to admit I am not a huge fan of beans although I do still eat them. Steph made this red velvet brownie thing that was made with beans instead of flower and I loved it! it was so good and no bad carbs!