Wednesday, March 4, 2009

For Dinner Tonight...

Brian had to go to work at 4 tonight so I found myself needing to make dinner pretty early. Well, I had totally intended on going grocery shopping this evening. So, I looked in the fridge and pulled out what I had... not a lot. I hit up the index of one of my favourite cookbooks Good Cooking the new essentials by Jill Dupleix, looked under butternut squash and voila! Tonights dinner (which may I say, kicked ass.)
tagliatelle with pumpkin & sage
600g pumpkin or butternut squash (even sweet potatoes will do!)
1 onion
3 tbsp. butter (I used margarine)
300ml vegtable stock
1 tsp sugar
pinch of ground nutmeg
sea salt & pepper
300g tagliatelle or fettuchini
1 tbsp olive oil
6 roughly chopped sage leaves
4 tbsp fresh parmasean (couldn't believe I had that!)
________________________________________
Roughly chop pumpkin, get rid of seed & peel. Cut into 1cm cubes.
Halve & finely slice onion
Melt 2tsp. butter in frying pan, add onions & cook gently (what does that even mean?) for 5 minutes. Add pumpkin & toss well, then add sugar, stock, nutmeg & sea salt. Cook gently (again!) for 20 minutes or until tender. It will still be slightly soupy.
Add pasta & boil until al dente.
Using olive oil, in a smaller pan, fry sage until crisp.
Drain pasta. Toss into pumpkin. Add remaining butter, sage, parmasean & lots of pepper.
Enjoy!
I gave some of this to Miles (before I added butter & cheese) and I think he liked it (well, that's what I gathered from the funny face he kept making (below)). Next time I'll also skip pepper for him... poor guy had a little sneeze attack.

No comments: