Thursday, April 30, 2009

10 Randoms


We're a wasteful society. I don't use disposable cleaning products (like Mr.Clean wipes or Swiffer) but sometimes, when I am standing in the cleaning aisle in Sobeys, I think "My life would be so much easier if I had these.". Here's the thing: We have it pretty good. And I have lots of things that make my life easy. So I can pass on the disposable mosquito repellent wipes (for real!!!!) and be grateful to have these:

10 Things That Make My Life Easier

1. My Dyson. They are not over-rated. They are exactly what they claim to be. And when Brian and I got a tax refund last year, we splurged. At the time I thought "I can't believe I am spending this much on a vacuum cleaner." A year later, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. This thing rocks.

2. Vinegar. It's one product that seems to clean everything.

3. Fitted Sheets. Can you imagine having to tuck the sheets under your mattress every time you made the bed like in a hotel? We take them for granted. Love fitted sheets.

4. Convection Oven. Good for the earth. Easy to clean. Love it.

5. Internet. Clearly. It's no nice to be able to find recipes, stain removal tips and Facebook at the click of a button.

6. Dryer Balls. If you still use Dryer Sheets... Google them. You won't believe what's in them. Need an even better reason to switch? They last for a looong time & save you a ton of money.

7. Remote Controls. I never appreciate these until I am at the cabin and the movie ends. Everyone is comfy and NO ONE wants to get up to shut the TV off.

8. My Cricut Machine. Mmmmmm. No more unwanted X's and Q's. Now I only have to buy stickers if I really love them. And it's so easy to match stuff. Honestly, how did I scrapbook before this thing?

9. My KicthenAid Mixer. Cookies in 10 minutes. Oh yeah.

10. Electric Lawn Mower. I used all of the money I got from my Bridal Shower & Wedding to buy this. Best ever. Love not keep gasoline on-hand. Love not spilling it all over my hands. Love this lawn mower. Love it.

Alright ladies, think about it. We have been given so many things to make our lives easier. Can you imagine what our great-grandmothers would think? What can you give up that is convenient, bu very wasteful? I bet lots. Ziploc Bags, Cleaning Wipes, Dryers Sheets. If you have any more ideas I would love to hear them. My guilty conscience loves this stuff.

4 comments:

Lee-Anne said...

Using our own mug at Tim Horton's.

Kacey said...

Baby WIPES... I know this sounds a little extreme BUT when Kloe was a baby i couldn't use baby wipes on her! She would break out in a BLOOD RASH...BRUTAL let me tell you! When i would travel i would just take those fancy lil cute lil face cloths and pack em (i know) in a ziploc bag with a bottle of water to dampen them with and then restash em back in the ziploc bag to take em home and rewash them... DISCUSTING TO SOME? YES? BUT it works and now since i have had 2 more babies since thats what i use when i am at home... ITs saved a few coins. I only use wipes usually when i am out in public!

Carol T said...

I've tried to give up paper towels, so now we buy way fewer of them... but it's still not good enough.
I used to buy every "wipe" out there -- but budgetary concerns have caused me to be more environmental!
I now use only vinegar, borax, or baking soda to clean.
Convenience items I used to buy:
baby wipes
cleaning wipes
dixie cups for the bathroom
disposable cutlery
disposable plates
individual packages of chips, cereal, fruit snacks, yogourts, etc.
cleaners
swiffer duster pads/floor mop pads
tiny bottles of shampoo

Yikes. I'm disgusted with myself.

schmidthouse said...

post it notes are right up there too in the convenient but wasteful department, what's wrong with scrap paper